Salvation: How to get it
So you've been reading about my relationship with Christ and you want one too but aren't sure how to go about getting one. I'll be happy to help you.
- You were created by a loving God. You have great value. God loves you and wants to have a personal relationship with you. Psalm 139: 13-16, John 3:16, John 17:3
- Your sin keeps you from that personal relationship. James 4:17, 1 John 3:4, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:17, Romans 6:23, Isaiah 59:2
- Only through Jesus Christ can you have a personal relationship with God. John 14:6, 1 Peter 3:18
- You must personally respond by trusting Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. Romans 10:9-10, John 1:12
"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For i is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved." Romans 10:9-10If you believe all this and would like to accept Jesus as your Savior, then pray this prayer or one like it:
Dear God, I know that my sin has separated me from you. Thank you that Jesus Christ died in my place. I ask Jesus to forgive my sin and come into my life. Please begin to direct my life. Thank you for giving me eternal life. In Jesus' name. Amen.If you just prayed this, congratulations and welcome to the family! Now what should you do? First, be assured of your salvation. Remember, it is by grace you are forgiven. Not by works, not by sitting on your butt in a church. Here are some next steps that I recommend.
- If you do not have one, I recommend getting a Bible. I personally really like the New Living Translation Life Application Bibles. I have a Parallel Study Bible that has study notes from two different study Bibles. My husband has the chronological version (which I used to help me write this out!) where all the books are in chronological order rather than the traditional order. Staying in the Word is important to grow as a Christian.
- Find a Bible believing church. It is key that you check all doctrine of potential church homes by the Bible. Just because it says it is a "Christian church" does NOT mean that it is teaching sound doctrine.
- Surround yourself with other Christians.
- Lastly, talk to your pastor about baptism. This is an outward expression of your faith.